Monday, October 27, 2014

sleep-sharing (with a pup)

I begin this post early in the morning after another night of "sleep-sharing" with my one year old lab. If you aren't familiar with the term, it refers to when parents and child sleep in one bed. My baby is Barley, and she sleep with me every single night. 

Initially, when this brown ball of fur bounced into our life, we tried crate training. Yeah, right. She was too little, too sweet and way too loud to sleep in a kennel. She whined and cried; we had roommates.
  I felt bad. "It's her first night in a new place, I'll let her sleep in bed tonight."

That night turned into naps on the bed, cuddling on the couch and pretty much sleeping anywhere I was. It was absolutely adorable and slowly becoming her norm. I loved it and even more so, I allowed it. Eventually somewhere down the road we desperately tried to break the habit. But let's face it, fourteen months later and guess who still squeezes into bed?

It may sound crazy, but I have embraced this situation. Hell, I enjoy it. Which is probably why baby Barley Day continues to get her piece of the pie (or the bed in this case). I could have tried and trained harder... But why? There is no right way to raise a dog. We are happy.

Besides, look at how adorably she sleeps! 


No comments:

Post a Comment