Wednesday, July 16, 2014

the big wonderful (enough said.)


There are certain phrases that really get a Colorado native’s heart pumping… “local food”, “farmers market”, “craft beer”, just to name a few. Imagine my delight when an advertisement for all three jumped onto my screen… I was literally one foot out the door.

So get. to. it. What is this magnificent event and where do I find it? The Big Wonderful, which mimics a similar affair that started in Brooklyn, welcomes food, friends, and fun. It is an explosion of pastels just outside the ballpark neighborhood boarder. If you are coming from the typical downtown division you will pass by nearly every walk of life. Which is the point. The Big Wonderful welcomes everyone and is a concept routed in reviving communities that may be overlooked on other occasions. Sustainability Park was the location of the fest and as a park-goer-regular, I was a little taken aback by the fact I had never heard of this space. This isn’t your typical Denver outdoor scene; it is in simple terms an empty lot. This acted as the perfect setting to drive up food trucks, plop in a bar, and add two awesome sand volleyball courts.


My highlights: While I was overwhelmed by the sheer “coolness” of the event, I was even more astounded by how eclectic, yet classically fun the entire afternoon was.  Nothing is more wholesome than spending time in the sun playing yard games, eating burgers, and being surrounded by man’s best friend. Seriously, the dogs. So many dogs.  The culmination of hearing the Cervantes DJ and a Great Divide Colette finding it’s way to my hand resulted in a personal heaven.


The Big Wonderful happens every Saturday until the fall and is free to enter. Events like this don’t come around every day, so let’s make it stick! You can support the cause simply by attending. And why would you not when you just read an entire post on why it rocks? See you there soon! 


No comments:

Post a Comment