Wednesday, September 9, 2015

writer's block and when to take a breath

As you can probably tell, I have been in a funk. My creativity level has been at an all time low. I am not entirely sure when it happened, but somewhere between making writing a large part of my career and the summer beginning I kind of lost my head. You see, I have always put pen to paper for fun. When a hobby transitions to a job (in my case a job where people change, erase and pick at your words) you sort of fall out of lust.

But not love. Which brings me back here; I love this blog. I don't care how many people read it. I do this for me. I love my art.

If you have ever been in a funk, at loss of words or struggled through a months long writer's block, here are my tips for you.

-Take a breath. Take a break. Having a unique and inspiring voice will never show face in times of distraction or stress.

-Take a walk. Literally, go outside and gain a new perspective. My best ideas happen on city pavements and in grassy parks.

-Write about something else. A poem, a memory, a fake toast. Write something mindless, meaningless and let your juices start flowing.

-Ask for help. Talk to someone about your topic. Different insights and experiences can do wonders for most situations, actually.

-Pour a glass of wine. Or beer. Or cocktail. And if none of those sounds good, indulge in a big piece of chocolate cake. Make your mouth happy, the fingers will follow.

Barley especially loves writer's block...

And sometimes I do too. 




No comments:

Post a Comment