Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Makin a Marqu

I love to DIY (obviously). I also love home decor. As one can presume, my house is a collection of things made by hand. Which means it is no surprise that when I fell deeply in love with marquee signs that I automatically decided to mock one up on my own. Honestly, it wasn't that hard. You can do it too!


If you can't find actual marquee letters or decide to take a cheaper route (which I did) you will have to measure out each edge your letter, cut a piece of cardboard to that size and glue the piece to your wooden letter. This is tedious, especially if you choose an intricate font. You've been warned. 


Measure out your sign as it will lay and decide where the lights should sit. I used a 24 light strand and decided to disperse the lights as evenly as possible. Mark the those slots with a pencil and use a drill to make the cut. On a scrap of wood, practice making the hole and ensuring it is the correct circumference for holding your light bulb in tightly. 


Paint! Use a pop of color that matches your style and preference. 

Final steps and product pictures to come soon! 


Materials: 
Wooden Letters
Cardboard
Glue
Paint
Drill
LED 24 Light Strand
Patience


No comments:

Post a Comment